Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentines Day

So, it's been another productive Valentine's day. Approximately 24 hours ago I was being dropped off at the San Diego Airport, on my way to Salt Lake City. 22 hours ago, I was calling my brother to come pick me up from the San Diego Airport and bring me back home. Apparently it was so ridiculously windy in Las Vegas that there was no way I would be arriving in Salt Lake City before 2am. So I figured, rather than miss my connecting flight in LV and have to spend the night next to a slot machine, I should probably just rebook it and sleep in my own comfy bed. What a great brother I have to come pick me up from the airport! In the end it turned out to be a really good thing that I hadn't come up last night. Both my sisters called telling me that the weather was extremely terrible and dangerous; and driving in Utah in terrible weather at 2am, after you're already tired from traveling isn't ever a good idea.

14 hours ago I was at it again, standing in line at the SD airport. This time I wouldn't have to change planes in LV (much to my Mom's relief. There was an incident a few years back just after finals where I was so tired that I fell asleep in the Las Vegas airport and missed my flight. Oops!). When we got to Vegas we had to wait for a while because we didn't have a pilot. We all thought it might be important to have one of those, so we agreed to wait. I put the arms up on the seats next to me and stretched out on the three seats, grateful I'd carried my pillow with me on the flight. I began reading my book, occasionally distracted by a little 11 year old passenger taping up paper hearts on the overhead bins to earn chocolates from the stewardess. The funny thing is that seeing that little boy running around a stranded airplane in the middle of the Las Vegas airport and taping up paper hearts with such an excited look on his face was the most Valentines-y that I've felt in a while. And I don't just mean February 14th romantic stuff. I mean that warm feeling all over your heart that makes love alive inside you whenever you need it. His joy was pure, so he shared that pure-joy feeling with me, and I'm grateful. Maybe I was supposed to miss my flight last night just so I could see him put up those paper hearts.

I arrived in SLC and picked up my bags that had gotten there sometime in the middle of the night, as they had traveled all lonesome-like on that first windy flight leaving San Diego. I found my rental car-a banana yellow Chevy-and made my way down to Provo. I spent the rest of the day attending some of the lectures I came down here to attend, and bowling with Britte. Whenever bowling occurs on a Valentine's Day, you know it's been a good one. Now I'm just sitting in the good old RB, waiting for Britte's karate class to end. It's kind of fun being back on BYU campus. There is a lot of stuff about BYU that I would probably change if I could...but the good memories and good things about the school outweigh all that other petty stuff.

4 comments:

Jack said...

Hooray! Welcome back to Provo. Way to not get stuck too long in airports and such.

Becky said...

come visit me. my husband is busily doing homework and taking tests this weekend, so I am mostly free :) Call me, or maybe I'll call you first if I have your number in my new phone.

--jeff * said...

bekahjo! hooray for being in provo. if you do get to see my sister, tell her to call me, too. it will be awesome.

by the way, i feel honored to be the only single person who made it on to your 'recommended blogs' list on the side. i feel pretty much awesome.

Darren and Kim said...

Happy V-day girl- I love ya!