Friday, April 11, 2008

Lappy 486

That's right folks! After months of hearing my sister complain that my desktop, once upon a time purchased at a BYU Bookstore tent sale, was quite possibly the slowest computer on this planet, I have upgraded from the Compy 386 (which, ironically, WAS riddled with unknown viruses that ne'er a Spybot nor a Norton Antivirus could crush) to this beautiful laptop that I am typing on now. We had our differences at first--the Lappy didn't really want wireless internet, and a few other sundry beginning-of-relationship-adjustments--but we have finally acclamated and are now on good terms.

Funny story about how I got the Lappy, and then I'm off to bed. I was talking with my Mom and Jodie (my surrogate mom) last Saturday, after a wonderful night of Deseret Book shopping/dinner at El Toritos while the guys were at Priesthood meeting, about the different things that I would need in order to start school in August. I mentioned changing out the old desk top for something a little more new. Well, my Mom said something to my Dad, and wouldn't you know it, just before General Conference was starting up Sunday morning my Mom comes in to the family room and points to my Dad and says "Ask your father what he did!" Now, any kind of a direction like this always makes me a little wary, so instead of asking my Dad what he did, I asked my Mom "Why?" Much more safe.

I guess last Presidents' Day, when the one-stop-computer-shop that my Dad doesn't quite worship, aka Fry's, was having their President's Day sale, my Dad decided to go buy a little laptop for work stuff that he needed to do at home (never bothering to mention this to my Mom, until now...two months later...). Now that he will be shipping out with the Navy at the beginning of May in order to fix their computers on board one of their ships for the next six months, he was thinking that he might need a different sort of setup than the Lappy 486 offers. So he quite willingly turned the Lappy over to me. Sometimes living in my house is sort of like what I imagine it must be like to live inside Mary Poppins' black bag. Things just sort of appear whenever you need them.

Welcome home Lappy. I'm glad you don't weigh 42 lbs.

1 comment:

--jeff * said...

dear lappy,

welcome to pretty much the greatest blog in the greater california area. bekahjo's pretty much great herself. i think you'll like her. we all do.

now, be funny.