Thursday, May 08, 2008

USNS Mercy and My Dad


Recently, my Dad left on the USNS Mercy. No, my father didn't join the Navy at the ripe old age of 55. However, he does work for a company that contracts with the Navy, and they decided to send him out on a ship. This is my parents standing in front of the Mercy. As you can tell from the giant red crosses plastered all over the ship, the Mercy is a hospital ship.


The Mercy is big. Here it is, sailing out of the San Diego Harbor, beneath the Coronado Bridge.


My Dad took this picture two days away from Hawaii. The helicopter is just landing on the flight deck. Pretty sunsets in the Pacific, huh?

I've created a blog for my Dad too. It's listed in my links. If you want to check up on Where in the World Jeff Nelson is, you can go to his blog. Right now he's in Hawaii, but they are supposed to leave on Saturday. They will be touring all over the Pacific. It looks like they'll be adding a stop to Myanmar as well, helping out disaster victims there.

Happy Trails!

2 comments:

Alicia said...

Wow, what an adventure!!! That is quite the ship too. Happy traveling!

Becky said...

That sounds like quite the trip to tour the pacific--can I come? How long will he be gone? And what does he do that gets him lined up with such an experience?