Thursday, October 02, 2008

An Icy Blast from the Past

By special request, I have been asked to share a story from my past with you today. Oh, that I were as vigilant in keeping a journal back then as I am now! I'm sure there would be so many, many more details to share!

Of course, we must start at the beginning. Once upon a time, two carefree and young San Diegan women moved up to Provo, Utah to attend school at Brigham Young University. Not being able to reserve rooms at the same apartment complex as some kind friends of theirs, their lot fell to a backup apartment complex--the Glenwood. Little did they know the insanity that awaited them at the unhallowed halls of their future apartment! It was a bittersweet day, indeed, when these well-intentioned girls finally realized that their two new roommates were, in fact, viciously unstable. Craving to escape the dungeon that was their "home", and desperately seeking to fulfill their need to gain friends, they traversed their ward, their classes, and even the sports events that they loved, in order to gain some sense of normality...

Okay, I can only write like that for so long. Needless to say, Susie and I were, in fact, desperate for any sense of normalcy at this point in our lives. Susie was (and still is =]) a big sports fan, and, though I've never been completely immersed in the culture, I really like watching sports. So we bought our season ticket packets from BYU (please note that at USU, students get in to all sports events for free...) and attended the games.

October 21st, 2000. Yes, I did look up the date. It was BYU's homecoming game, and Susie and I were especially excited because BYU was playing San Diego State; not only a pretty good rival at the time, but also one of the largest and most popular universities in the city we grew up in. I, being the dork that I am, thought it would be pretty hilarious to wear my SDSU sweatshirt to the game. I'd gotten it from some former co-workers of mine, who had all gone to SDSU, as my going away present when I left for college (to BYU. They had great senses of humor). I can't quite remember whether anyone got to see it though, because all I can remember is that it was cold. It was very very very cold and windy. I would even characterize it as "blistery." (Unfortunately, I was unsuccessful at looking up the exact temperature on said day. I tried for about 10 minutes, then gave up. I'm sure it can be done, but let's face it--weather people don't know how to organize a website).

We walked to the stadium, as it was only kitty-corner from our apartment complex, and I distinctly remember being grateful for the walk, mostly because I think it was probably the only thing that kept my blood from literally freezing in my veins. But we were determined. Nothing would stop us from seeing the homecoming game! Susie and I found our seats and started to watch the game. Now, when I say we "found our seats," I don't want to deceive you all into thinking we actually sat down on them. I'm pretty sure we were standing for most of the whole game, partially because it was homecoming and everyone was excited, partially because it helped to keep us warm, and partially because the bleachers were already sopping wet from the snow and covered with (as Susie mentioned in her comment) floating ice glaciers that, I have to admit, were pretty uncomfortable to sit on.


Imagine this as us, but cuter and possibly a little more freezing





The game, for me, is a bit of a blur. The stats say that it turned out to be a very field-goal oriented game (apparently touchdowns are overrated when the temperature is below freezing). At one point JR Tolver, our past high school quarterback and now SDSU's second string wide receiver, came out onto the field. Susie and I cheered for him. Then he made a really great play, catching the ball for SDSU and making a first down. We both screamed and cheered "YEA!!!! GO J.R.!!!!" Then, over the loudspeaker came the announcer, clear as day--"That was JR Tolver from San Diego State...blah blah blah..." Please remember that we were sitting right in the middle of screaming, cheering BYU fans, desperate to win their homecoming game. EVERYONE within earshot turned to glare at us. We smiled a little sheepishly and said "He went to our High School." They all nodded, as if to say "Oh...I suppose that's acceptable." So the lesson here is, if you ever think you're going to get beat up by a bunch of crazed fans, just claim the guy you're cheering for is your brother-in-law or something, and all will be forgiven.

It was probably during half time or so that Susie and I decided to hit the snack bar to help warm ourselves up. Susie got some nachos, and I'm pretty sure we both got hot chocolate as well. The hot chocolate helped a bit, but what really kept us both alive at this point was the nacho cheese. I'm so glad they heated it up so hot, or else I'm pretty sure that we would've suffered frostbite. I would never have played the piano, as poorly as I do, ever again! And what about Susie, you ask? How could she be expected to hit a volleyball without thumbs? Yes, it was the cheese sauce that saved us.

Eventually we were so frozen that, after the third quarter or so, we felt that we had fulfilled our obligation to the school and to JR, and decided to head back to our apartment to watch the rest of the game on TV. We never did get to see the end of the game, however, (which wasn't bad for us in the end, since BYU lost 15-16) because this was also the day that, when we got home to warm up and watch the game, certain events that unfolded in our apartment made it so we finally had had enough with our insane roommate and walked out on her.


Wheel of Morality: The Lesson We Should Learn
(Animaniacs, anyone?)
If you ever think you're going to be pushed to the limit, just stick your fingers in hot nacho cheese sauce and repeat to yourself: "I'm just glad that I do not have frostbite!"

I better start stocking up...Logan is colder than Provo!!! Or, at least, so everyone keeps telling me.

1 comment:

Susie said...

YAY yay yay! You did such a great job with this story! It's true that I saw miniature glaciers float by my sneakers as we stood in 2 inches of melted snow. I'm pretty sure our rears would have frozen to the bleachers had we tried to sit down!

I think after that game we sat on the edge of our bathtub and stuck our freezing toes in warm water. Ahhh, sweet relief! That SDSU sweater was never intended to be worn in such tundra-like weather!