Sunday, February 07, 2010

Curse of the Unripe Apple

So, the other day I had an apple as a snack. It was kind of hard, not just crisp like regular apples, but I didn't think too much of it. Until about 2-3 hours later, when I got the worst stomach cramps ever. Literally, it got to the point where I was worried that maybe my appendix had burst or something. I kept feeling my face and forehead, trying to tell if I had a fever. I felt pretty normal, but then who knows what is normal when your appendix bursts, besides really smart people that go to medical school? Not many people. I thought about Googling appendicitis symptoms but the majority of the time I wasn't home, and then later on my internet was down. With all the books I have, you'd think I'd have some kind of medical textbook that would help me figure out whether my appendix had just ruptured or not. You want to know the really sad thing though? I wasn't ever really that worried about the appendix at all--just at the fact that I don't have medical insurance and I wouldn't be able to go to the student health center for a while; so I was basically praying that it wasn't an appendicitis so that I wouldn't have to deal with the medical bills. Where are my priorities, really? Hmmm....Life vs. Medical Bills....which should I choose?

Luckily it didn't come to that. I decided not to freak out until I got a temperature (or keeled over from pain), and it didn't happen (the former anyhow. I came dangerously close to keeling over). Therefore, my only conclusion is that the apple must have not been ripe and caused the stomach cramps.

Moral: Check your apples.

P.S. Percy Jackson comes out this weekend. For those of you who are as excited as I am. I hope it doesn't turn out like War of the Worlds. I was so excited for that movie too, because I'd just read it/listened to the old radio show that scared everyone. Then I saw the movie and disappointment prevailed. I'm already a little hesitant with Percy because some of the important characters either aren't on the character list at IMDB or don't look like the author describes them. Thankfully, we all know that looks aren't everything.

5 comments:

Emryn said...

Glad your okay! Sorry you were in so much pain. I know what you mean about going to the dr.s. When I broke my arm I tried to go to urgent care but ended up going to the ER. I just had the school insurance, so a surgery and over night stay in the hospital with 80/20 insurance= A year and half of paying off bills and $6000. Not fun!!

Missing Ink said...

YIKES!!!!! Apples are mean, that's why I go for - you guessed it - BANANAS!!!!! I'm still sorry your stomach was killing you (SILENCE! I KEEL you!!!!). Hahahaha, that's what I think first tho, same with Britte - will this cost me money? eek. Well, we have eternal perspectives. We'd rather not leave our family with medical bills now, would we? Noooooo. Of course not! So instead, we'd leave them with JUST the funeral costs. At least the plots are paid for =) hahaha, okay I'm rambling. Give me a dollar.

--jeff * said...

hey, i think i got salmonella from some dark chocolate last week, so i'm with you on rejoicing with no medical bills. : )

as for mr. jackson, my friend worked on the effects for the movie, so i know that at least that's good.
let me know how the movie is; i'm told i should read the books.

Darren and Kim said...

Wow you stomach cramp story had me captivated. I hope you are doing ok!

Darryl said...

looks aren't everything? are you sure about that? I'd like to see your sources on that! :) just kidding. glad to hear you're alive!