Saturday, November 24, 2007

“Maybe it’s the music.” “Maybe it isn’t only the music."

I don’t usually like to do Christmas things until December 1st, because it is possible to get a little sick of Christmas stuff if you jam it all in right after you finish putting away the Thanksgiving leftovers. Unfortunately, ABC Family has played Irving Berlin’s White Christmas for the past two days, and I simply can’t resist it. Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen. I remember when we were little and my sisters and I would sing the “Sisters” song. One of my favorite parts is when Wallace and Davis are on stage with their pant legs pulled up, twirling those feathered fans and mouthing along to the Haynes Sisters’ record. If you watch carefully, near the end of the song Bing Crosby is laughing so hard that he can barely finish the performance; and who can resist Danny Kaye’s facial expressions as he purposely starts smacking Crosby with the fan? My favorite two quotes from the movie are as follows: Davis says to Wallace “I want you to get married. I want you to have nine children. And if you only spend five minutes a day with each kid, that's forty-five minutes, and I'd at least have time to go out and get a massage or something.” Then, when Davis is trying to get Wallace to go up to Vermont, Wallace (getting the old guilt trip over Davis’ hurt arm) turns to Betty and says “Miss Haynes, if you're ever under a falling building and someone offers to pick you up and carry you to safety, don't think, don't pause, don't hesitate for a moment, just spit in his eye.” I laugh every time.

Well, my brain is not quite refilled yet, so I’m not sure what else to say. I emptied it this morning all over my GRE test, and I haven’t quite felt myself yet. I did manage to buy new material for curtains earlier. I hope my judgment wasn’t too impaired, or else I’ll wake up tomorrow and detest what I bought.

2 comments:

--jeff * said...

i've been getting in 'serious arguments' with people like my bishop and the relief society president over when it's appropriate to listen to Christmas music [and therefore celebrate Christmas in general]--i've been surprised at how many people think that anytime in november is fine to start. frankly, it's uncouthly barbaric to do so until after you've had your thanksgiving pie. but after that, go for it with all you've got.
the muppet and egg nog party is on monday, december 17th; you're invited.

Becky said...

how did your GRE test go?