Sunday, November 11, 2007

The USS Midway, on a good day

On Friday, I took four of the kids that I work with to the USS Midway. As the Activities Coordinator at a clubhouse for young adults, I get to go and do a lot of things around San Diego. This last year alone I've been to the Wild Animal Park, the San Diego Zoo, a bunch of the museums at Balboa Park, hiking at Torrey Pines State Reserve, boating out at Santee Lakes, taking a tour of San Diego bay on the Hornblower , horseback riding (yea! I finally reached one of my life-goals!); I've visited cat shelters to play with cats, and the Helen Woodward Animal Center, where they have all kinds of animals that you would never have suspected, like llamas and deadly snakes. I absolutely love the opportunity that I have had to rediscover this beautiful city that I grew up in. It's really quite amazing. The only problem is that the entire time I'm on these great activities I have to practice Prof. Moody's "CONSTANT VIGILANCE!," making sure that the group I am accompanying doesn't cause any devious mischief; especially mischief of the vandalizing or fighting or harassing sort. Most of the time they aren't bad at all, but there are times when my patience is greatly tried, such as our trip to the USS Midway on Friday. Separating people from fighting is not one of the highlights of my job, but sometimes it has to be done. I just wish that fights would not occur on the deck of an almost 60 year old aircraft-carrier-turned-museum; especially near the railings of the flight deck. But I suppose as long as they don't actually start hitting each other, and the buttons they randomly push don't actually ruin the ship in any way, I should count my blessings. Besides, I can always visit the museum on some other day, with my family or something. These kids might not ever get the chance to go again. So I suppose it's worth it.

No comments: