Tuesday, January 15, 2008

My painful version of The Office

My life at work this past week has been like an episode of the Office. Unfortunately it's not one of the funny episodes of the Office, where Michael burns his foot on a George Foreman grill and Jim uses a plant sprayer to keep Michael and Dwight from fighting, or where Dwight ends up hiding in a box in the warehouse. It's one of the awkward episodes, where Michael says something so totally inappropriate that everyone just sits around and stares at each other until someone dares to break the silence. One of those episodes where you grab the remote and just know that your overactive sense of empathy tells you that you just can't watch such painful proceedings, and you may have to change the channel to something less entertaining, but altogether less torturous. Sadly, it looks like the rest of this week is going to be the same awkward Office episode, over and over again. If there is one thing that I've learned to dislike, it's office politics.

On a brighter note, Masterpiece Theater is highlighting Jane Austen movies for the next couple of weeks. How clever of them. It almost makes up for the rest of the stressfulness.

I also made another step into the "now" (remember, last year was the first time I got a cell phone?) by using my iTunes cards. It was enlightening. I've never really bothered with iTunes before, because I never really felt the need to take the time to learn how to use it. Lately, however I've been keeping a list on my palm pilot of songs that I hear on the radio that I like. I got a couple of iTunes cards from my lovely sister and brother, and logged on to iTunes to download said list. It was thoroughly successful, which makes me happy, because now I can listen to Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow over and over again. And, I'd just like you to know that I memorized how to say Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's last name. Well, sometimes I add an extra "wa."

Really, I'm just babbling now. I'm afraid to get off, because my conscience might require me to do something productive, instead of checking to see if there is a new episode of House on tonight, like I really want to do.

No comments: