Monday, March 10, 2008

100% Mormon


Today while I was at work I was preparing for a new group that I'll be running this month. The group is called "My Meaningful Life," made in hopes of helping the kids I work with figure out who they are and what is important to them. We'll be talking about things like family and friends, work, community responsibilities, faith/beliefs, sobriety, etc. This morning I was looking for information about faith/beliefs. I was hoping to encourage them to figure out what it is that they believe in. So I googled "faith/beliefs," and found the website for BeliefNet, and more specifically, (muahaha) a quiz.

Now, I'd like you to know that I do not sit around taking quizzes all the time, despite the fact that I suggested a few other quizzes recently. But honestly, how could I resist the "What's your Faith?" quiz? So I took it, and guess what? I'm 100% Mormon! It made me laugh, and I'm really glad that the internet community confirms my beliefs. The most exciting part was that one of my co-workers took the quiz, and it told him that he is 100% Mormon as well, so I invited him to come to church with me any time. I'm thinking this could be a really great missionary tool...

Anyhow, here is how the Belief-O-Matic explains the results, and how my percentages worked out:

"The top score on the list below represents the faith that Belief-O-Matic, in its less than infinite wisdom, thinks most closely matches your beliefs. However, even a score of 100% does not mean that your views are all shared by this faith, or vice versa. Belief-O-Matic then lists another 26 faiths in order of how much they have in common with your professed beliefs. The higher a faith appears on this list, the more closely it aligns with your thinking."

1. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (100%)
2. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (97%)
3. Jehovah's Witness (94%)
4. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (91%)
5. Orthodox Quaker (81%)
6. Eastern Orthodox (75%)
7. Roman Catholic (75%)
8. Seventh Day Adventist (72%)
9. Bahá'í Faith (64%)
10. Orthodox Judaism (64%)
11. Sikhism (58%)
12. Liberal Quakers (57%)
13. Islam (55%)
14. Hinduism (51%)
15. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (46%)
16. Jainism (46%)
17. Unitarian Universalism (46%)
18. Reform Judaism (43%)
19. Mahayana Buddhism (39%)
20. Theravada Buddhism (37%)
21. Neo-Pagan (30%)
22. Taoism (22%)
23. Secular Humanism (21%)
24. New Age (19%)
25. Scientology (19%)
26. New Thought (16%)
27. Nontheist (13%)

After you see your results, you can click on the different religions to see their explanations of different religious topics. I laugh about it, but isn't it also a little sad that there are so many people out there that are so lost they feel like they need the Belief-O-Matic to help them figure out who they are in this great big universe?

No comments: