Tuesday, June 03, 2008

My Navy-fied Dad

I know that I'm already updating my Dad's blog, but I had to post this picture on my blog as well. It's an awesome picture. He's in Mindanao, Philippines. They have been working with Operation Smile, treating children with cleft palates. In the three to four days that they have been doing the operations, they have treated over 300 children! They are working 24 hours a day to get as many operations done as possible.

In case you were wondering why he is so decoratively clad, he has to wear the long-sleeved Navy jumpsuit because it has been soaked in heavy duty bug repellent, so that he doesn't get eaten by giant Filipino bugs. They gave him the kevlar vest and helmet to wear when he goes ashore. Apparently, there has been some guerrilla fighting in the area prior to their arrival! My Dad says everything is all calm now, so I'm sure they are either a) making him wear the outfit just to see if he will actually do it, or b) are being super-protective of one of the only people that knows how to keep the hospital machines (that the Operation Smile people desperately need) up and running. Plus, who doesn't want a helmet that has their name taped on top of it? I'd buy one if I saw it in the grocery store!

2 comments:

Becky said...

When I grow up, I want a job like your dads!

~Bekahjo said...

Me too!