Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Blessing of iTunes

So, I'm not much up on technology. Some of you may remember that it's only been about two years since I got my first cell phone, and only at my parents' insistence. (It's been a great experience since then, so thanks Mom and Dad).

Well, two Christmases ago I decided that I wanted music. I'd started keeping a list on my handy cell phone notepad of songs that I heard on the radio and really liked. I am, however, quite opposed to buying CD's. Here's why: I only ever end up listening to the two or three songs that I enjoy. The other ones are completely useless (although I admit that sometimes you find a song rarely played on the radio that you hear and your first reaction is "Hey! Why don't they ever play this one? It's GREAT!"). So why should I pay ten to fifteen dollars extra for all these songs that I'm never going to appreciate? Anyhow, I decided that an iTunes card was the way to go. I got two, and used one of them. Then I saved the other and decided to wait until my list got longer. So then this last Christmas I got another one, and the other night I decided it was time to break out the cards and my list and google the songs to find out who the singer was if I didn't already know (I know, what kind of lame person doesn't know who's singing the song that they like? Well, that lame person would be me. I'm sorry, it's just not a talent that I stood in line for in the pre-existence. I must have been preoccupied with other things, like lecturing David about not wandering off when it was his turn to come down).

Anyhow, I just got tired, so here's the long and the short of it: I downloaded 42 of my favorite songs, and I'm sitting blissfully listening to them right now. (And, if you'd like the breakdown, that's 2 alternative, 20 country, 1 hip hop/rap, 9 pop (though I don't know why "I Can" by NAS isn't rap...), 1 pop latino, and 9 rock)

Now all I need is an iPod, or the equivalent...

4 comments:

Dax said...

I hope all your new songs are DRM free. If they aren't may I suggest going with Amazon MP3... Then you can listen to your music how, when and where you want.

Darryl said...

I need to work on my blogging skills Bekah! This post was awesome. I love iTunes! And that picture is adorable and disturbing. I definitely see an iPod in your future. :) As for Dax's concerns about DRM free music, the tunes on iTunes are now DRM free, supposedly.

Jaime said...

yeah. i totally avoid some 21st century things too. i just got an MP3 player for christmas, and i didnt even ask for it. and when i opened it, i didnt want it. ha. but, i decided to give it a try (so as to not hurt my mothers feelings) and i love it! way to move along in the music world.

Emily C. said...

I never can remember the title of the songs I love, let alone who sings it. You're not alone.

I agree. We didn't stand in that line. I think we were helping people in another one--a soup kitchen or something; or, we were the ones checking everyone else in. :)