Sunday, February 01, 2009

If you find my motivation, send it to apt. 401 instead of 404

So I gave in and moved. My RA came and helped me, as did my trusty sidekick, Alise (my single's ward companion, building-mate, and choir buddy. We also go to Wal-mart together.) Whenever I move, even if it's just across the hall like yesterday, I am reminded of how much junk I really have. Mind you, I did go through my clothes and get rid of a TON of stuff that I just keep keeping more out of habit than out of the fact that I actually think I'll wear it someday. I patted myself on the back for that one.

As for school, well. You know. I'm sort of still trying to be motivated. Last semester I was all on top of everything. Sure, I was crazy. But now this semester I am both crazy and unmotivated. Sad combination. The only thing that saves me is precariously balancing the number of times I go to the pool and swim laps with the amount of chocolate mint brownie ice cream I allow myself to consume. In case you were wondering, grad school is very liberating in that sense. =]

Have I ever told you all my 70 year plan? It's getting closer to a 60 year plan now, but I'm progressing within the plan, so I don't feel bad about that gap narrowing. Okay, so here it is. In my 20's and 30's I'm going to be a social worker (Check. I'm in grad school to be a social worker. Good job Bekah). Then, in my 40's and 50's I'm going to be a writer. I like to write, but I figure it will probably take me until I'm that old to get something pretty good published. Okay, then comes the fun part, because when I "retire" from social working and writing (around 60's and 70's), I'm going to be an oceanographer. I know, I know. Why don't I just do that now? Well, I really do like social work and writing. And you want to know a secret? I'm really not that good at science. Sure, I did pretty well in geology, but chemistry was never my thing. I might study it sooner than that (note: University of West Florida has a bachelor's program in oceanography you can do distance learning--what what!), but I'm talking about full-on living on a boat in the ocean for months on end. Besides, then I would definitely be the coolest grandma ever, because my grandkids could be like, "Oh, wanna know what I did this summer? My grandparents came and picked me up in their boat and then we sailed to Australia and snorkeled/scuba dived near the Great Barrier Reef." Maybe by then my dream of everyone having their own submarine will be fulfilled, and I can take them down in that too. Awesomeness ensuing.

(PS. My turtle, Alvin, was named after the submarine. Not the chipmunk. And only partially for Joseph Smith's brother, Alvin, because he was also amazing.)

=] I'm such a dork. But I love it.




BACK TO HOMEWORK!!!!

1 comment:

Becky said...

I'm jealous of your ice cream-eating, swimming balance. Those are both excellent past times. (It's just kinda hard to swim with a baby, so I don't go too much anymore...and thus, can't justify the ice cream as much either). And I'm glad oceanographer is in your plans!