Sunday, May 31, 2009

Calvinball

I have nothing to write about. In fact, an hour and a half ago I vowed to my roommate that I would go to bed before midnight. Then I wrote my brother. Then I played on facebook. Then I played on my blog. Now I am fully aware of my avoidance, and am torn; one half of me wonders why I haven't been going to bed early. The other half doesn't care.

This weekend was pretty fun. I drove down and visited my friends, Ked and Cynthia. Cynthia is from my branch back home, and I worked with Ked at the library at BYU. This last year they (and a few other friends from back home) were in the same ward. We figured since we were all semi-unbusy, we should play. So I drove down and we went to cheer at the softball game going on across from the stadium, put on by the Special Olympics. I've always wanted to go watch the Special Olympics, but I'd never had the chance before. It was really fun. We cheered for whoever was at bat, or whoever made an especially good play. We got sunburned a little, sitting out there cheering for two hours. Then we went home to Cynthia's and made dinner/dessert. Afterwards, some friends of theirs came over, bored and looking for something to do. We finally landed on beach volleyball, at their sand court outside. That was really fun (even though I'm really bad--except, perhaps, at serving) because the team Ked and Cynthia were on decided that every time one of their players would serve they had to sing a song--any song--so that a) they could guess who sang it and b) they could distract us from the game. It actually sort of worked. Though, in the end it didn't really matter because we weren't keeping score anyhow. What was really great, I thought, was that people from the apartments nearby just came out and joined the game on their own. We didn't have to invite them, and some of them we didn't even really know. They kept playing, even after those who started the game left (they even kept up the singing, I believe).

I still prefer Calvinball, though I think what we did was somewhat Calvinball-esk. Have you ever tried it? It's very liberating. (Muahaha =])

1 comment:

--jeff * said...

my best friend in junior high and i would play calvinball in his backyard. a few bats, anything else we could find in his garage, and the apple tree and we were good to go. it was every bit as fun as the comics make it seem.

i'm glad you play, too.