Thursday, August 28, 2008

The IT guy broke my computer...whoops, that was me!

Grad school is pretty much nuts. I have approximately 1 billion pages to read by next Wednesday, and a bunch of other "little" assignments that all add up to a mountain of assignments towering over me, ready to squash me at any moment. For some reason, I'd really like to tazor the very bottom of that pile, just for fun. Is that morbid?

I spent an hour or so with technical support, trying to figure out why I couldn't get on Blackboard. This wouldn't be such a travesty, but I have an online class, and a bunch of my other professors have half of their billion pages of articles posted on Blackboard. Anyhow, the IT guy and I became friends, and he suggested that I download a free version of a spyware program. So I did. But, in my befuddled state of mind (thinking about all the assignments I have to do) I downloaded the wrong version. In case you were wondering, you shouldn't ever ever ever accidentally download a program that isn't compatible with your processor, because then you'll have to call your brilliant little sister and ask her to help you to stop your computers start-up, shut-down continuous loop. It only took 56 minutes to resolve the issue and obliterate said program from my computer.

Anyhow, positive things that have happened so far my first week of school:

*I found the library. Always my best friend, even when I don't have any real ones within an hour and a half drive.

*Today was the first day that I looked up from the stairs and was actually surprised that I was already on my floor. I'm hoping it's because I am now accustomed to climbing three flights of stairs, and not because I was just lost in thought and hadn't realized how long I'd been climbing.

*I got assigned clients at my internship, so I will soon be doing real-people work, instead of fake-employee work (aka filling out forms and taking online quizzes about sexual harassment and such)

*We had a fire alarm go off last night at 12:30am. I'd already been in bed about 2 hours, so at first I thought it was my alarm clock. Then I thought it was our apartment that was on fire, and that I had somehow caused the fire. I climbed out of bed and considered checking my apartment, but I somehow decided I wasn't at fault, and even if I was I didn't care that much to go check my apartment. Apparently I am REALLY apathetic when I'm tired. I went down all three flights of stairs and went outside to wait for the fire department. Despite the fact that we were all grumbling, it was kind of exciting. Way to get that out of the way now, instead of waiting until, say, November.

*I took time out on Tuesday to go to the Logan Temple, and it's just beautiful. I had a wonderful time.

*I've already found a great little study couch for myself at the institute--although, trying to balance taking an institute class with my internship schedule has proved a bit difficult.

*There is a statue of French Fries on campus. No joke. I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it.

P.S. VAL--Amy Grant is on the Radio right now =]

2 comments:

Emryn said...

Well, I am glad to hear all is well. I am pretty much that way when I am half a sleep too. Just don't let the french fry statue convince you to eat too many of them ;)

~Bekahjo said...

Actually I've basically sworn off french fries since watching the extra scenes from Supersize Me. Ugh...